"Leon! Come on!" I laughed. My blue sneakers weren't very blue anymore. I was walking backward. He grinned. "Breathe, Lilah. It could make even you pass as human." I stomped in another puddle and stuck out my tongue. I turned around again, just in time for Leon to run up behind me and pick me up.
"Now you're doomed!" He laughed maniacally, "I've got you!" I squeaked. "Put me down, dorkface!!" He put me down and pretended to cry. "Oh come on and quit being such a girl!" He scoffed. "Some day you're going to fall for that!" I laughed. "Hang onto that dream!"
He and I walked down the sidewalk side-by-side, making fun of each other. Suddenly he stopped. Everything after that was silent- except the two gunshots. I didnt feel anything, so I assumed Leon had been hit. I recognized the man behind the gun- the man who'd killed Joshua. Rage, hate... Leon! I turned to him, expecting to be hurt, but he wasn't. For a moment, I felt relief, until I saw his tears. I looked down and my hands were completely blood-covered, but still, I felt nothing. I collapsed to the pavement, and Leon's lips were moving, but I heard nothing. "
Lilah..." I heard a soft, familiar voice. It was Amir. Leon leaned down by my side and I saw him cry. I sat up and turned around. Amir was standing about ten feet behind me. I scrambled to get up. I ran to him. He caught me in his arms. "Oh my God, Amir! How'd you get here?" I leaned into his chest and cried. "I thought you were dead. I thought for sure..."
I looked up at him. He was smiling contently and looked a little brighter than usual. "Hush my dear. Listen, and you'll understand." I looked around, Leon was crying over me. Me? "Amir?" I looked up at him with a slight panic. "Just listen", he said gently as he pointed to the clock tower. I watched the second hand complete the minute and suddenly I understood, as the clock struck twelve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment